Do you make resolutions when it's the new year? Do you seriously keep them? I don't, for sure. Because it's tough! I would rather make small changes to improve my life on a daily basis whenever possible. And one of those, right now, is to be more conscientious with what I eat.
During a family vacation in Sydney last year, I have had several beef salad lunches which were tangy and delicious! So I have been preparing my version of cold beef salad for my solo lunches at home of late. This is also a very ideal healthy lunch you can prepare in advance from home to bring to office and good for anemic people (like me) who needs a good dosage of iron in our diet.
Preparation time : 15 minutes | Cooking time : 5 minutes | Yields : 1 portion
Ingredients for beef marinade :
- About 160gm beef chuck tender, sliced thinly (Or get the pre-packed sliced beef at the supermarket)
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp BBQ sauce (optional - you can replace this with worchestire sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
- black pepper to taste
- 1 portion ready mixed salad with cherry tomatoes and (optional) onion slices
Salad dressing :
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
(I personally like tangy flavored dressing. Please adjust and test-taste the portion of the vinegar to your preference)
- Marinade the beef with the all the above. Leave it in fridge for about an hour or two.
- Prepare the dressing beforehand by mixing the above dressing ingredients well.
- Heat pan and sear the beef on both sides for about 1 minute on each side. No need for additional oil.
- You can choose to chill the beef to have the salad later or serve it warm on top of salad, together with dressing.