Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Thursday, August 27, 2015

[Recipe] Chinese Rojak Dipping Sauce and Where To Get That DriedCuttlefish


If you love the flavors from our Singapore rojak sauce, and you have never tried making it at home, maybe it's about time!

However, before I go on with the easy peasy recipe, I would like to share the story of my hunt for dried cuttlefish to panggang (grill), you know, those that you find at the Chinese rojak stalls and served with you char kway (Chinese cruller or fried dough stick). So I did an internet search for it and found out a very likely source that may be selling it. 

Off I went in search for Chai Wee Cuttlefish, located at Blk 335 Smith Street, #02-65, Chinatown Complex (the shop is within the hawker centre) But I was disappointed that even though they sell freshly made caramelized, crispy cuttlefish snack, they were not allowed to sell me the dried ones. Though through the kind lady boss, she directed me to their supplier that would be able to sell me some. Funnily, I was really excited!

The very yummy crispy cuttlefish by Chai Wee Cuttlefish. Go support them!
Finally, I got my hands on the dried cuttlefish at Tungsan Food Industries. Because they are one of the major food suppliers' for hawkers and restaurants, I had to buy the cuttlefish in a BIG PACK of 1kg, no less. It costs $48, if I remember correctly. And no lah, I can't possibly finish this pack alone! I will be sharing some portions with friends and hopefully share some pungent smelling good time at a BBQ gathering soon. 

*Psst by the way, it takes about a minute to grill the cuttlefish to crisp in oven at a 180 degree setting. Leave the oven door slightly ajar while doing so else it may create a lot of smoke in the oven.

It's a lot of dried cuttlefish in here! Good thing I can keep it refrigerated.

You can find their retail branches and drool over what they sell at :

Ang Mo Kio Branch
Blk 554 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10
#01-2034
Singapore 560554

Bedok Branch
Blk 539A Bedok North Street 3
#01-475
Singapore 461539

Ok I shan't go on about my cuttlefish shopping adventure! Here's the simple recipe you can make for your rojak dip if you are ever craving for some at home.

(Yields about 3/4 rice bowl portion)

Ingredients for sauce :
- 3 tbsp hei gor (shrimp paste)
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp water (to boil tamarind with)
- 1 juiced calamansi lime
- 3 tsp sugar (or more if the sauce is too salty to your liking)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (or more if you like it spicier)
- 2 tbsp ground peanuts

Method :
- cook the tamarind paste with water for a few minutes. Set aside to cool. We will be using just the tamarind juice so do sift out the seeds.
- Scoop the hei gor into a large bowl, add chilli powder and sugar.
- Add the tamarind juice in halve portion first and do a test taste. Mix well and adjust to your liking.
- Squeeze the lime into the mixture and add the crushed peanuts. Continue to mix. The dipping sauce consistency should be just a little bit runny. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Top the sauce off with more ground peanuts before serving.


We have chosen our favorite ingredients here to dip with the rojak sauce - cucumber, mang kwang (turnip), you char kway and of course, the grilled cuttlefish. Other popular ingredients to dip with are grilled tau pok (beancurd puffs) stuffed with bean sprouts and cucumber, jambu (water apple), pineapple and even green mangoes. These would surely whet your appetite!

 Enjoy!

Till the next post, have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.