Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

[Recipe] Tang Hoon with Prawns

Tang hoon, or glass noodles or rice vermicelli, is one of my favorite food. Better still, if it is the Korean glass noodles that is made with sweet potato base, which has a smooth, firm and chewy texture.

I remember tasting this particular dish in Thailand many years ago and was captivated with it's taste. This dish is originally prepared in clay pots for a more authentic look and perhaps, the taste too. But of course, whose to say we can't use other pots we desire.

A few days ago, I decided to recreate this dish at home when my mother-in-law and sister-in-law came to dinner. It is a fairly simple dish to prepare and definitely a crowd pleaser. So if you want to score some points with your family (or his family), this would probably be one that would impress!


Preparation time : 15 minutes  Cooking time : 20 mins  Serves : 4

Ingredients :
- 12 medium sized prawns (or more, at your discretion)
tang hoon, 4 bundles
- 8 cloves of garlic (or more if you like)
- 4 stalks of spring onions
- 2 stalks of chinese parsley (to be cooked complete with the roots)
- 1 cup chicken stock
-  half a rice bowl of water
- 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine (hua tiao jiu)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tsp black soya sauce, more to give the dish a darker color(optional)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- pepper to taste

Preparation :
- Wash and cut away the feelers of the prawns. In my case, I've also snipped away the tip of the prawns' heads.
- Soak the tang hoon in hot water. Once soften, drain water.
- Slice the spring onions to finger length.
- Peel the garlic and give them a light smash.

Cooking method :
- In the pot, fry the garlic, spring onions and chinese parsley till fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, water, sauces, chinese wine and pepper. Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Add the tang hoon and mix well.
- Add the prawns on top of the pot and cover with lid. Allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- By now, most of the stock would have been absorbed by the tang hoon.
- Give it another stir, together with the prawns and simmer for another 5 minutes. You'll know that the prawns are cooked when it has turned completely orange.
- Garnish with chinese parsley and serve.
- Enjoy!

 
Till the next post, have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favourite dishes! Never thought to replicate it at home. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.