Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Friday, August 5, 2016

DIY Terrarium for Home Decor

[This is a product review for Floral Garage Singapore. No monetary compensation was made. All opinions expressed here are my own.]

Making a terrarium to enhance the decor of my home has never crossed my mind. Ever. That's because I know I have zilch green thumb and it would be a real pity to put in the effort to plant yet not see it survive. Though I don't deny that a mini table top garden is one of the best ways to add a little greenery to an indoor space especially when most of us are living in apartments in Singapore.

My 16 year old son, Brandon, is quite the complete opposite of me in the greenery department. He recently revealed to me that he loves plants, which caught me by surprise. Well actually, I shouldn't be surprised that much because I know he is a nature and animal lover. When I asked him if he would like to try out making a terrarium, which the kind people at Floral Garage Singapore approached me to try, he was more than happy to give it a go... on my behalf... because... you know why... 


The 'Premium DIY Terrarium Kit' arrived at my doorstep a few days later. I literally wowed to the delivery guy as I was not expecting it to come in such a huge and heavy box. There was a generous assortment of plants, gravels and premium soil mixes supply for our use. (More than enough supply to make 3 or 4 terrariums, me thinks!) This premium kit came with 2 very gorgeous high quality glass bowl/jar, which was the highlight for me. I also super adore the cute miniature gardening tools and spray bottle that came with it! Apart from a pair of scissors, we were good to go with making our terrarium since everything else has been provided for. At this point, I think my excitement meter went up quite a bit. I could not wait for Brandon to complete the terrariums!


Brandon spearheaded this project, while I was just his assistant, handing him the tools and topping up the gravels that he needed as he followed the step by step guide provided in the box. He knew exactly what he needed to do to build the terrariums so I would give this two thumbs up for any beginner.

It took him about 45 minutes to complete both terrariums, one with the open bowl and the other jar with lid. I mentioned earlier that he is a nature lover, so imagine when he said this, "Mum, I feel pain for the plants" while he was pruning the roots! *faint* But well, we did learn that it is a necessary step to trim the long overgrown roots if transferring out from a pot to another, before we nestle the plants so that it can re-establish itself into new soil.


The process of building these terrariums was very therapeutic for Brandon and I am glad that this may be an additional outlet for him to find relaxation from the daily stresses at school. Unfortunately though, the open bowl terrarium did not last us more than 3 days. (!!!) We are not sure what went wrong though we highly suspect it could be the initial over watering due to over enthusiasm or the lack of sunlight or both. On the other hand, I am so pleased to report that the terrarium in the enclosed glass jar is still THRIVING!


Can you see the sloping landscape? We added some larger decorative pebbles of our own to make it look more foresty. Brandon wants to look for tiny decorative pokemons to add into this little garden. Well... until he finds them, I'm happy with what we have in our home now.
The enclosed jar terrarium is truly self-sustaining, since it can provide enough humidity within the enclosure thus creating its own little ecosystem. It requires almost zero attention from us apart from a little weekly water spray job that Brandon has committed himself to do. It's been 4 weeks and it still looks exactly the same as the day it was built. I am really pleased looking at such a lovely little garden in our living room whenever I walk past it. (And pssst, we will be re-working on the open terrarium again soon! We just need to get more plants!)

All in all, I am really glad that we were given the opportunity to experience building terrariums in the heart of our home and at our convenience. I would recommend this to anyone who has no experience with plants to give the enclose jar terrarium a go as it is by far, the easiest to care for.

If you are keen to own a terrarium for your home too, do visit Floral Garage Singapore to see the variety of terrarium categories and DIY kits that they have recently launched. I think these make absolute great gifts for house warming and birthdays for those who probably have everything but a terrarium! While you are checking out the terrariums with them, do also check out the other customized floral gifts and party supply needs. And you know what's the best part? They pride themselves as a social enterprise so it's always good to know you will be indirectly playing a part to help others in need, when you make your purchases from them.

*** Specially For My Readers***
 The friendly folks at Floral Garage Singapore is giving a 10% discount on your checkout!
Discount code : ADE10  
 valid till 31 December 2016
(Terrarium gift idea for Christmas too, perhaps?)



Till the next post, have a wonderful day!

Absolutely Me,

2 comments:

  1. LOL !! We had the same reaction because I did not expect it to be such a huge box as well !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! the same expectation is just too funny.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.