Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

[Food Review] Marina South Curry House

The last time I stepped foot in the Tanjong Pagar vicinity was about 7 years ago, when I had a little private jewelry showcase invitation for the female staff in a recruitment office, during lunch hour. A few days ago, I was back at the area for a food tasting session with Marina South Curry House, and at a mall called 100am, which *ahem, I never knew existed. I certainly felt alien. Well, at least, now I know I have one more mall in my to-shop list! 

Anyway, back to my post. I found out, that the restaurant name Marina South Curry House, does not imply that their dishes are 100% curry based, as anyone would have rightly assumed so. They used to operate in Marina South but that was a very long time ago. It was a relief to know that they serve up old school zhichar dishes that caters to everyone in the family. So no worries there if there are family members, like my children, who are not into spicy food yet. 


The ambience of the restaurant portrays a sense of the olden days - nothing fanciful but definitely a comfortable and cosy setting, which I like.

S$3.90 per drink
We were introduced to try their signature drink - Iced Buah Long Long or buah kedongdong, which is better known in Malay. It was my first time trying it and I quite like it. It was slightly tart with a hint of mango flavor. Refreshing! It is a must-try.

S$8.90 per dish
When we dine with children, the sweet and sour pork dish is always a must-have at a zhichar stall. We liked the fact that the meat is very tender and not flour-filled crusted. There's enough of the sweet and the sour, which makes it an appetizing dish.

S$8.90 per dish
Pork ribs, when cooked right, is tender and it's meat will fall off the bones. It is our first time having curried pork ribs. This was a pretty flavorful dish and went great with our plain rice. If you are a novice with curry, this would probably suit your tastebud as it is mild. Spiciness level : 2 out of 5.


S$8.90 per dish
With a special dish name like that, how is it possible that it wouldn't taste heavenly? I've never come across such an exotic vegetable dish with a combination of long beans, aubergine, okra and stink bean (petai). The rempah (mixed spices) infused well with the vegetables and is very delectable! I'll be very happy to pair this alone with plain rice. Spiciness level : 3 out of 5.

S$8.90 per dish
It tasted nothing like the curried pork ribs, even though the curry looks the same. If you have a penchant for mutton, you will definitely enjoy this dish. I am quite particular about the gamey mutton flavor which was hardly present in this curry. Spiciness level is also pretty low : 2 out of 5.

S$18.90 per claypot
The 'Fish Head Bee Hoon' was a much awaited dish as the family is always on the quest for the best one. This is definitely not your typical kind of fish bee hoon soup you would expect from a zhichar stall. Although we appreciate that it was cooked with a rich, tasty and superior broth that has been simmered for over 6 hours, we couldn't help but be a little let down with a tad of fishiness in the soup that night. There is certainly room for improvement and I'm confident the chef will live up to the expectations of this dish in due time. This claypot 'Fish head bee hoon' is good for sharing.

S$6.90
I can't help but think of my favorite Thai food when I see green curry.  The chicken meat is tender and the aroma of the curry is pretty mouth-watering. It would have been perfect if it was a little less salty. Spiciness level : 2 out of 5

S$9.90
A wholesome vegetable dish which is lightly flavored. I love the crunch of the bok-choy, which was cooked to perfection.

S$12.90 per plate
Another dish we looked forward to having that night was the 'Salted Egg Chicken Wings' which met our expectations. Fried to perfection with salted egg coating, it gives the dish a very distinctive taste which  my children liked - even though they don't take salted eggs and were of course, not aware it was coated with it! The crispy skin was a plus.


The friendly boss of Marina South Curry House also served up 2 new fish dishes for us to try, which will be available at their new concept stall which I am looking forward to patronize. It's location is still a secret but I just had to share what I tried. I absolutely love the sambal fish dish shown on the left photo. Whereas my children enjoyed the sweet and tangy coated one on the right. The fish used were very fresh, soft and meaty. Definitely something to look forward to! The stall will ready for operation by year end so stay tuned for news of the location at their facebook page. It may just be very near you.

Overall food experience :  8/10
The food is fresh and the portions served are pretty generous. We especially like that the prices are kept affordable. A very family friendly and casual place to dine with attentive service. I would definitely go back to try their hor fun dishes, which looks very yummy too.

Many thanks to Agnes and Irene of ATMC for the invite.
ATMC facebook.

100am
100 Tras Street #03-14
Singapore 079027

Contact number : 6694 8108

Operating hours :
11.30am - 4pm, 5pm - 9.30pm, daily


Till the next post, have a wonderful day!

Disclaimer : The Accidental Mom Blogger and family were invited for a food tasting session at the said restaurant. The opinions written in this blog post are purely my own. No monetary compensation was given.

2 comments:

  1. Note to self: do not click on food links after dinner time! Looks like you guys had a nice dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Take it as your inspiration for next day's marketing! :p

      Delete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.